Active Topics

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post

Promote non-flash solutions and encourage HTML5 use.
Can HTML5 replace flash though? From what I understand the features are much more limited than what you can do with Flash.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
HTML5 video elements can essentially replace Flash as a video player, but that's about it. However, a lot of other Flash type things can be done with HTML canvas and javascript.

Not all browsers render pages the same. Even my beloved firefox gets only 93/100 on the acid3 test. Should we start telling off mozilla for being slow in implementing standards compliance? Maybe make our own (sucky) browsers in the hope they'll do better?

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Flash 10 will bring hardware acceleration for h.264 content. That means that there won't be any jaggy playback anymore.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
There's nothing in HTML5 that would in any way influence the use of Flash on the web. (Not any more, that is... thanks to Nokia.)

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
BTW, Flash 9.4 on the N900 does use hardware acceleration. the option to leave ti on or turn it off is in the browser when playing content. I saw some posts in other threads asserting it does not.
No, it really does not - even if the checkbox is there. That's why Streetview is so slow in maeMaps.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."