Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
LOL this is so bloody confusing

look - is this quote firm or not ? i.e. is it being picked up by all newspapers and treated as truth ? has elop/nokia issued other statements confirming ?
It is not said in http://www.hs.fi/talous/artikkeli/St.../1135267134292

I don't read the paper version. But Eflop tries to destroy Meego and make WP7 success. I hope that he will be fired as soon as possible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Heh, there's a related article titled "N9 phone not expected to be a hit product" where an analyst says
- Jos tästä N9-puhelimesta tulisi menestys, Nokian pitäisi harkita uudelleen toimitusjohtaja- ja strategiavalintaansa ja ottaa ehkä puhelu Anssi Vanjoen suuntaan, että tulisiko hän takaisin, naurahtaa Rautanen.
Translation:
If this N9 phone becomes a success, Nokia should reconsider their ceo and strategy choices, and perhaps make a phonecall to Anssi Vanjoki, if he might come back, says Rantanan [some analyst] jokingly.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Good thing Nokia isn't the owner of MeeGo then, or I might have to actually worry. Intel will bring us MeeGo phones... if not, we are doomed to use crappy chinese knockoffs. At least those would be cheap.
Unfortunately, Harmattan is owned by MeeGo so other MeeGo phones may not be as nice as the N9's GUI... Maybe they can take the Cordia project and use that instead! I'll be happy...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by smoothc View Post
That does not make sense, if the N9 is a big success it will not be the last one, even if they are already using those expensive robots to make phones for WP7. Don't forget Elop does not own Nokia.
That's exactly right! Elop doesn't own Nokia and he has a Board of Directors to report to.

As someone else just said, it does appear that Elop maybe trying to sabotage the Nokia-MeeGo effort and bolster the MS-Nokia alliance. It wouldn't surprise me if he was, as these 'corporate' types can and do play dirty to promote their agendas.

Also, considering the amount of money that's involved in the Nokia-MS deal, and I'm sure that Elop was one of the chief negotiators, he's got to make himself look as if he can deliver. What better way to do that then effectively kill Nokia-MeeGo?

The Following User Says Thank You to 1SnapMusic! For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Heh, there's a related article titled "N9 phone not expected to be a hit product" where an analyst says

Translation:
If this N9 phone becomes a success, Nokia should reconsider their ceo and strategy choices, and perhaps make a phonecall to Anssi Vanjoki, if he might come back, says Rantanan [some analyst] jokingly.
Sweet dreams are made of these.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post

Translation:
I always said that Vanjoki should have been CEO, and some US guy (maybe even Elop) should have been his right hand, go-to man to get stuff done.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
I always said that Vanjoki should have been CEO, and some US guy (maybe even Elop) should have been his right hand, go-to man to get stuff done.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/n...estors-forced/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
SO why would you buy a dead unsupported phones?? A waste of investment imo.
I would buy it because it does what I need on that very moment.
Keep using it 2 years or longer till it falls apart. It is not a waste of investment.
I need a full browser multitasking , adblock, noscript, and nospy.

Waste of consumer investment and resources is happening due to people buying stuff they don't need then rely on ecoshops full of apps to download enhanced entertainment value for their untill they are relieved out of their boredom with a next quarterly iteration of their "favourite platform" .

Elop seems incompetent to lead Nokia to a well deserved victory. If any , it will be a bought one. I fear it will be rather a bought downfall though.
But let's see. Maybe he is a visionary and testing a new strategy
Soon after N8 release Elop has announced the dead of Symbian and the putting on hold of Meego as primary platform.
Now we have 10 more Symbians coming and support till 2016.
What is next , 5 x Harmattan from here till 2013 with support till 2017?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

N9 and MeeGo, could be his bargaining chip against MS. If N9+MeeGo is successful, he will use it to gain more favorable terms in his dealings against MS (Since Nokia is gasping for breath/cash right now); and may use MeeGo on its own when Nokia is able to stand on its own again.
I can't really compute that. Doesn't his bargaining position become helluva lot weaker, if he rules out Meego in an interview even before it gets released?

He should do just the opposite, if he wanted to have advantage with Microsoft negotiations. Hint that Meego isn't dead and that Nokia could very well release more models.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I would buy it because it does what I need on that very moment.
Keep using it 2 years or longer till it falls apart. It is not a waste of investment.
I need a full browser multitasking , adblock, noscript, and nospy.
This is the best reason to buy this phone - it does what you need on release.

That being said - you will need to try it first to check that the are those plugins availab.e

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:

Tags
elopcalypse, elopocalypse, insanity, makesnosense, trojan