Notices

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
So, I decided to give BitTorrent Sync a try. I downloaded the Linux ARM version, started the process in xterm and configured a folder in webGUI. It seems to work well. I guess one might consider tweaking folder_rescan_interval (default is 600, so 10 minutes?) if battery usage is a concern, I've yet to do that.

Now then, I've been trying to find out how to run a program automatically on startup. Apparently the best approach is to make a script in /etc/init.d/ and then symlink that to /etc/rc5.d/? However, I must admit that I don't have the knowledge to properly write the script. Any suggestions? I looked through the scripts in /etc/init.d/ for a suitable starting point but none of them made sense to me in the right way.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
So, I decided to give BitTorrent Sync a try. I downloaded the Linux ARM version, started the process in xterm and configured a folder in webGUI. It seems to work well. I guess one might consider tweaking folder_rescan_interval (default is 600, so 10 minutes?) if battery usage is a concern, I've yet to do that.

Now then, I've been trying to find out how to run a program automatically on startup. Apparently the best approach is to make a script in /etc/init.d/ and then symlink that to /etc/rc5.d/? However, I must admit that I don't have the knowledge to properly write the script. Any suggestions? I looked through the scripts in /etc/init.d/ for a suitable starting point but none of them made sense to me in the right way.
That only applies to systems based on sysVinit and similar. Maemo is based on Upstart, so the scripts you need to be looking at for inspiration are in /etc/event.d/

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly an Upstart expert, so I'm not sure how to advise beyond this. I'm probably going to be giving BT Sync a try myself in the near future, tho (that's how I found this thread), so if I get any further along I'll mention it here.