Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
modRana 0.43.3 has been released!

This is mainly a bugfix release, but it fixes A LOT of issues.
There are also some improvements and new features, such as support for switching between files and sqlite for tile storage in the QML GUI (in Options->Map).

If there are no issues with the package in the next few days, I'll push it to Extras-Testing, so that the modRana package in Extras (currently at version 0.36.6) can be finally updated.

Harmattan package:
http://modrana.org/packages/harmatta...43.3_armel.deb

And also on OpenRepos:
https://openrepos.net/content/martink/modrana

Changelog:
Code:
* Sun Sep 29 2013 Martin Kolman - 0.43.3
- don't crash if a filesystem path can't be created
- fix online routing not respecting route parameters
 - current mode is now correctly taken into account
 - "avoid highways" and "avoid toll roads" works correctly again
- convert Wikipedia search to the new asynchronous provider framework
- convert local search to the new asynchronous provider framework
- address, Wikipedia and local search wait for Internet connectivity
 - and enable it if needed
- local search also waits for GPS, if needed
 - and will enable it, provided it is not turned of in options
- local search now initializes GPS and Internet in parallel
 - this should speed up local search triggered from CLI
 - provided GPS and Internet is not yet initialized when triggered
- CLI search debugging option
 - disables stdout suppression
- add (hopefully) cross platform connectivity checking
- the "search" button in the Fremantle app menu on the N900 now goes to the main search page
- the modRana standard output now contains current Python version during startup
 - for easier debugging of Python version specific issues
- fix routing to local search results
- make "clear results" work for Address and Wikipedia search results
- make "clear all" in the main search menu clear all results
- tile storage type can now be selected in the QML GUI
 - in Options->Map
- add a directions fix from Geoff Kuenning - thanks! :)

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-09-29 at 15:17.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
modRana 0.43.3 has been released!

This is mainly a bugfix release, but it fixes A LOT of issues.
Thanks! But I'm sad to report both
Route->'Address to Address' and
Search->'address online'->Tools->'route here'
not yet working.

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-09-30 at 18:13.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Thanks! But I'm sad to report both
Route->'Address to Address' and
Search->'address online'->Tools->'route here'
not working yet
Well, as it seems to be working fine for me (when trying both on PC and on the N900), it must be cause by some specific factor of your setup.
Could you start modrana from the terminal (just type "modrana" and press enter) and paste the output here ? That should get me started on fixing it.

BTW, address to address routing currently does not work with offline routing, as offline routing is currently strictly point to point (or to be more exact, it finds routes between two geographic coordinate pairs: lat1,lon1 -> lat2,lon2). There is unfortunately not yet any support for turning plaintext address string to a coordinate pair, so offline address to address routing does not work.

Hopefully this can be sorted out in time, as everyone probably noticed most commercial car navigations do offline address to address routing just fine. The Monav preprocessor used by modRana actually already generates a custom address lookup format, called Unicode Tournament Trie, but I have not yet been able to find any tools for working with this format from Python.
And the Monav routing server that modRana uses for offline routing doesn't seem to support them either.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Well, as it seems to be working fine for me (when trying both on PC and on the N900), it must be cause by some specific factor of your setup.
Could you start modrana from the terminal (just type "modrana" and press enter) and paste the output here ? That should get me started on fixing it.

BTW, address to address routing currently does not work with offline routing, as offline routing is currently strictly point to point (or to be more exact, it finds routes between two geographic coordinate pairs: lat1,lon1 -> lat2,lon2). There is unfortunately not yet any support for turning plaintext address string to a coordinate pair, so offline address to address routing does not work.

Hopefully this can be sorted out in time, as everyone probably noticed most commercial car navigations do offline address to address routing just fine. The Monav preprocessor used by modRana actually already generates a custom address lookup format, called Unicode Tournament Trie, but I have not yet been able to find any tools for working with this format from Python.
And the Monav routing server that modRana uses for offline routing doesn't seem to support them either.
Thanks for the fast reply.
Should I post the whole log?
When I click Route->'Address to Address' it shows this in the terminal (multiple times):
Code:
menu: module route that should handle menu drawing is missing
and on Search->'address online'->Tools->'route here' , it shows:
Code:
Message addressed to route which isn't loaded

I'm in my home country (Czech Republic ) with mobile internet, so I'm currently using online navigation only.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Should I post the whole log?
Yes please. If its too long, you can put it to pastebin/privatepaste. If you think it has any sensitive info, you can send it by PM or other private channels.

When I click Route->'Address to Address' it shows this in the terminal (multiple times):
Code:
menu: module route that should handle menu drawing is missing
and on Search->'address online'->Tools->'route here' , it shows:
Code:
Message addressed to route which isn't loaded
Looks like the routing module blew up on startup and was not correctly loaded. That's why I need the full log - there is probably a traceback generated by the routing module during startup, detailing what went wrong with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Yes please. If its too long, you can put it to pastebin/privatepaste. If you think it has any sensitive info, you can send it by PM or other private channels.

Looks like the routing module blew up on startup and was not correctly loaded. That's why I need the full log - there is probably a traceback generated by the routing module during startup, detailing what went wrong with it.
I was just about to post an extended error code when I saw your answer.
Code:
modRana: module: mod_route/route failed to load
'module' object has no attribute 'FileDescriptor'
traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "modrana.py", line 329, in _loadModule
    a = imp.load_module(importName, fp, pathName, description)
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .mod_route import getModule
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/mod_route.py", line 36, in <module>
    from . import routing_providers
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/routing_providers.py", line 9, in <module>
    from . import monav_support
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/monav_support.py", line 27, in <module>
    from . import monav
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/monav.py", line 27, in <module>
    from signals_pb2 import CommandType, VersionCommand, VersionResult, RoutingCommand, RoutingResult
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/signals_pb2.py", line 11, in <module>
    DESCRIPTOR = descriptor.FileDescriptor(
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'FileDescriptor'
I will send the whole output to the e-mail address specified, if needed, but this is the unusual part.

I tried searching this error on the internet and solved the issue by upgrading python-protobuf to the extras-devel version. Now both address-to-address routing and routing from the search result works, but you might need to specify the python-protobuf version in the dependencies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I was just about to post an extended error code when I saw your answer.
Code:
modRana: module: mod_route/route failed to load
'module' object has no attribute 'FileDescriptor'
traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "modrana.py", line 329, in _loadModule
    a = imp.load_module(importName, fp, pathName, description)
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .mod_route import getModule
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/mod_route.py", line 36, in <module>
    from . import routing_providers
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/routing_providers.py", line 9, in <module>
    from . import monav_support
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/monav_support.py", line 27, in <module>
    from . import monav
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/monav.py", line 27, in <module>
    from signals_pb2 import CommandType, VersionCommand, VersionResult, RoutingCommand, RoutingResult
  File "/opt/modrana/modules/mod_route/signals_pb2.py", line 11, in <module>
    DESCRIPTOR = descriptor.FileDescriptor(
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'FileDescriptor'
I will send the whole output to the e-mail address specified, if needed, but this is the unusual part.

I tried searching this error on the internet and solved the issue by upgrading python-protobuf to the extras-devel version. Now both address-to-address routing and routing from the search result works, but you might need to specify the python-protobuf version in the dependencies.
Ah, thanks, that appears to be it ! I've bumped the python-protobuf dependency to >=2.4 and I've also removed that monav_support import - it will be imported once needed, so it was just slowing down startup. I've just sent 0.43.4 with this fix to autobuilder, should show up in Extras-Devel in a few minutes.

BTW, while doing the release, I've discovered a glitch that caused 0.43.3 to actually miss the last two weeks of commits. Therefore and upgrade to 0.43.4 is very much encouraged, provided you actually want all those fixes that should have been in 0.43.3.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Thanks!
It's simple and kinda a fault on my side - it is just not yet implemented in the QML GUI modRana uses on Harmattan. Is I've been getting similar questions lately, I really should finally:
  • add a "not yet implemented screen" for those features or hide the buttons for the time being
  • implement that stuff

BTW, to clarify - all these features are supported by the modRana core and available from the GTK GUI used on the N900 and elsewhere. It is just the QML GUI that is lagging behind in exposing those features.
Please implement them

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
Man, if you could enable offline routing and address lookup, I think it would be a killer feature. I dont know if any other phones or navigation apps do that, but it would be absolutely great for travelling as the data roaming isnt yet free in Europe. If anyone, you MartinK can do it. Go MartinK.

And ofcourse again thanks for the great software we got already.

Last edited by Kossuth; 2013-10-02 at 14:10. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Code:
- fix online routing not respecting route parameters
 - current mode is now correctly taken into account
 - "avoid highways" and "avoid toll roads" works correctly again
I just came back from a journey and entered this thread to report that "avoid highways" and "avoid toll roads" are ignored in N900's non-qml version (never really run the qml version and I guess the error was in the core, but reporting here for completeness). Great you fixed it, I'll update today and test on the same data (address-address) it failed earlier(was: later), if something's still wrong - i'll report back

Thanks for this great piece of software!

Two questions:
1. Do you have a "todo" list available publicly to see what you're planning? Or is your bugtracker only source for such data?
2. I have espeak on my N900, but modRana doesn't speak Did I miss some option in the settings enabling it?

Last edited by misiak; 2013-10-04 at 16:52. Reason: later -> earlier

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps