I think it's time to have an official feedback channel, and while w00t is frigging awesome and has been the past couple of weeks. Somewhere the information is stored as an FAQ would make it much easier for users. Since it's still in beta, there's still a bit of leeway to change things people don't like

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Anyone who already get jPhone can give me installed packages?

Code:
zypper -A se -i | cut -f 2 -d '|' | sed -n '6~1p' > packages.lst
zypper --disable-system-resolvables install --download-only $(cat packages.lst)
This command download all packages installed on phone and store it on phone memory, so better do that with wifi connection.

Packages RPM's in /var/cache/zypp/packages/ and subdirectories, so i need this directory.
Can anyone upload archive of this directory on dropbox or googledrive or somewhere else?

The Following User Says Thank You to SourenAraya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
Good to know, but if you have the resources, please implement your own...
Or give us the documentation to implement alternative input methods.
We use the Maliit open source project. From some quick searching, https://wiki.maliit.org/Plugin_Development_Quickstart may be useful.

Also, predictive text is not very effective if you switch language often, use shell commands or use abbreviations.
Our terminal application does not have built-in support for the native keyboard, it implements it differently. So you won't have to worry about that part at least. I do understand that it's not ideal though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Somewhere the information is stored as an FAQ would make it much easier for users. Since it's still in beta, there's still a bit of leeway to change things people don't like
Great idea. I'd be happy to contribute to an FAQ. Do you want to take the initiative and get one started?

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
As far as I know Swype is available for android in the form of yet another one third-party virtual keyboard. That is, it is just another one Android "application" (.apk).

Has anyone of Jolla users tried to install Android Swype on Jolla?

Should the FAQ go here really? https://sailfishos.org/wiki/QA
Or it's Jolla release specific FAQ?
There is also this page: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Sailfish

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Food for reviews:
- Maps: offline maps? turn by turn navigation? public transport layer? directions using public transport? zoom bar (+/- buttons as opposed to pinch to zoom)
I didn't notice that there would be public transport layer. The very first GPS lock took maybe 1-3 minutes when I was walking. Hopefully it works faster in the future. There seems to be bug: after giving me written routing instructions maps app didn't draw me a map or routing graph any more, it was totally white with only here logo on the screen. It might have been transient problem. No zoom bar, you will have to use gestures (pinch, tap, double tap).

- Mail (does it work? easy to set up? IMAP?)
Seems to work at least in reading. I wrote one test message but I didn't receive it. Mail app was giving message: problem but didn't told me what the problem was. I think that I was using wrong configuration (authentication for outgoing mails) for sending the mails but it would have been nice to have proper error message to why it wasn't working. Mail was very easy to set up. You add account on Settings app. First you select the type (like Mail for Exchange, IMAP, Google, ...). Mail app is simple but functional.

- Browser (a more detailed review)
Very few features and options on the UI. I would like to have little more features like Save page, Save image. Features that are there work. If your data connection is very slow (for example background download), the UI doesn't update to show what the browser is actually doing, so you might actually think that the app is not responding your requests and you might try again and again and wonder why app is not doing what you asked. Otherwise it has worked quite well. Many operations seem very fast after N900 and N9 but in some operations or in some pages it is not still match for desktop browsers in speed wise.

Calender app has also bug: on summary screen it shows wrong starting clock times for some of the meetings but when I click the details for the meetings the clock times are correct.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PIDk View Post
Has anyone of Jolla users tried to install Android Swype on Jolla?
This will not work. Its not just an app, it deeply integrates with os and in ACL will not work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SourenAraya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Good to know, but if you have the resources, please implement your own...
I have understood that Swype is patented technology in USA and possibly in some other coutries so Jolla cannot implement their own without licenses from the patent holders.

Sim Toolkit STK seems to be missing, or doesnt work with http://www.mobiilivarmenne.fi/en/

This also aplies to my workplace VPN

And I also just noticed that outlook calendar sync seems to strip the location of events. Or I have no idea where it is in the UI.

Last edited by beeki; 2013-11-28 at 11:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beeki For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience