Closed Thread
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Just wondering, will you make the stl files available? I'd rather have the keyboard in black than white, and i do have access to a 3d-printer (Lulzbot A0-101).
It could also serve as a good starting point for people wanting to use a different hardware keyboard than the Motorola Droid one.

Last edited by arachnist; 2014-01-31 at 09:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to arachnist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by arachnist View Post
Just wondering, will you make the stl files available? I'd rather have the keyboard in black than white, and i do have access to a 3d-printer (Lulzbot A0-101).
It could also serve as a good starting point for people wanting to use a different hardware keyboard than the Motorola Droid one.
Very probably! But ATM the design is still being optimalized!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Very probably! But ATM the design is still being optimalized!
I just LOVE this community!!

I'm thinking about how it could be possible to signal the phone a change of state of the keyboard. This could be useful for
- saving energy (stop polling I2C device)
- waking up phone after opening keyboard and locking it after closing it
- closing the virtual keyboard
- keep display always on

There are at least three peaces of hardware on the phone, that evemtially could be utilized:
a) Power IN contacts: What happens when these contacts are short cut? No, I will not try that myself :-) What happens, if there are no 5V but the rerouted 3,3V from Power Out? I wont try that eigther. There we have to wait for the specs of TOH from Jolla.

b) NFC tag: Unfortunatelly opening the keyboard moves a potential NFC sticker _away_ from the receivers position, if the sticker is located on the keyboard part. That leaves a sticker within the fix part of TOH, that connects to the phone. Could such a sticker be deactivated somehow, when the keyboard is closed? Maybe by short cutting the stickers antenna? This would mean that the sticker has to be fiddled with and additional connector must be positioned.

c) The phone switch, that is pressed, when Jollas TOH is plugged onto the phone. I guess this would be the most elegant way to go - no latency, exact timing when to do action, no additional electrial parts. Unfortunatelly, the switch is lowered into the phone. I could not think of a simple mechanic, that could press the button when the keyboard is openend. There must be some kind of a spring involved, which makes it quite complicated. I wonder what Jolla had in mind, when they decided to solder a switch to the phone and not use two more golden spring contacts like for power or I2C. Maybe there is already some kind of counter part to that specific switch, that could be operated by a plastic ramp on TOH?

Last edited by ibins; 2014-01-31 at 11:03.

Originally Posted by ibins View Post
I'm thinking about how it could be possible to signal the phone a change of state of the keyboard. This could be useful for
- saving energy (stop polling I2C device)
- waking up phone after opening keyboard and locking it after closing it
- closing the virtual keyboard
- keep display always on
Okay, what do you got?

a) Power IN contacts: What happens when these contacts are short cut? No, I will not try that myself :-) What happens, if there are no 5V but the rerouted 3,3V from Power Out? I wont try that eigther. There we have to wait for the specs of TOH from Jolla.
Shortcut ground and 5Vin, nothing happens.

Hooking up 3.3V to the 5V in, nothing happens. (port is triggered from +-4V and up I believe. But why would you??

b) NFC tag: Unfortunatelly opening the keyboard moves a potential NFC sticker _away_ from the receivers position, if the sticker is located on the keyboard part. That leaves a sticker within the fix part of TOH, that connects to the phone. Could such a sticker be deactivated somehow, when the keyboard is closed? Maybe by short cutting the stickers antenna? This would mean that the sticker has to be fiddled with and additional connector must be positioned.
No, the NFC tag is in the piece attached to the phone.

Fiddling with NFC tags is not really practical. Very very small components

c) The phone switch, that is pressed, when Jollas TOH is plugged onto the phone. I guess this would be the most elegant way to go - no latency, exact timing when to do action, no additional electrial parts. Unfortunatelly, the switch is lowered into the phone. I could not think of a simple mechanic, that could press the button when the keyboard is openend. There must be some kind of a spring involved, which makes it quite complicated. I wonder what Jolla had in mind, when they decided to solder a switch to the phone and not use two more golden spring contacts like for power or I2C. Maybe there is already some kind of counter part to that specific switch, that could be operated by a plastic ramp on TOH?
Activating the keyboard will happen via software, so no open/close sensor. This is beyond my capabilities to make a reliable switch. But I am confident it will work fine

Thanks for sharing!

Time for some solder practice!

These boards are not final version, but china post takes a long time... Good for practicing though!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Without an open/close sensor, it will be impossible to do:
  • Lock to landscape when the keyboard is open. => Cannot really imagine using the keyboard without the lock.
  • Backlight on only when the keyboard is open. => It will glow in the dark even if closed.
  • Using Jolla as touch only phone when the keyboard is closed. => No onscreen keyboard.
  • Waking up the phone by opening the keyboard. (The most likely scenario on my N900)

Is that correct?

(great project nevertheless, but these would be unfortunate regressions, compared to the N900)

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-01-31 at 12:19.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
  • Lock to landscape when the keyboard is open. => Cannot really imagine using the keyboard without the lock.
  • Backlight on only when the keyboard is open. => It will glow in the dark even if closed.
  • Using Jolla as touch only phone when the keyboard is closed. => No onscreen keyboard.
  • Waking up the phone by opening the keyboard. (The most likely scenario on my N900)

Is this correct?

(great project nevertheless, but these would be serious regressions, compared to N900)
Hmm... could this be achieved by NFC? If there was action on NFC going out of reach (keyboard slid out), could use this as trigger, not sure how feasible though this would be

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Hmm... could this be achieved by NFC? If there was action on NFC going out of reach (keyboard slid out), could use this as trigger, not sure how feasible though this would be
two posts back:

No, the NFC tag is in the piece attached to the phone.
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post

Is that correct?
These are all things that are under consideration and will be solved on the software-side. No backlights though, there will be leds for shift and function!

These are all things that are under consideration and will be solved on the software-side.
Software can act when it has sensor/input, not sure how software can magically sense keyboard open without it. Hopefully I am missing something

Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty