Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I've said before how lovely mine is, but I think, and I think others do too, that it would be bad taste to crow about it too much when so many people are waiting in frustration. Also don't forget that there are only 121 of us, and may not all be on here.

The tablet experience will be anyone's eventually though, as the work done on adapting Sailfish to larger screens means community tablet ports are now very possible, as are x86 adaptations. So everyone will be able to see how well suited Sailfish is to high res tablets.

My highlights: better landscape support, events screen layout with shortcuts on the right. Silica apps adapt well with virtually no effort - Quickddit is especially nice looking. Of course all the extra RAM means OOM is pretty much idle, and everything is very fluid. The new 4.4 dalvik is very nice too - it'll be a shame if that doesn't grt released on something else.

As much as I dislike the taobao hawkers, I'd probably get one off them right now if I were you.
100% agree...I posted months ago in the experience thread but only one other owner ever replied. I am completely happy with the tablet (its my first) and with the help of the community i got LLS Video player for the tablet and all sound codecs (DTS, AC3 etc) and now i can access all films / series from SD....1080p looks good and I never had a problem.

Reason i bought the tablet was to support Jolla and to access my music from NAS over Sonos. Works perfectly although i wish there would ever be a Salifish OS version so i can ditch Android. Bad you have to install Android support for only 1 App.

So basically there are happy owners and i am so glad i had the day free and watched the Jolla Talbet presentation online and stumbled on Indiego at the same time to buy as #75.

I still would have preferred that everybody gets their tablet and Sailfish Apps (paid or not) would be developed cause the tablet store is right now quite sad and i personally think wont change much now with under 700 tablets.

P.S.: I probably would also get one from Taobao if i didnt had mine now that someone flashed it succesfully.

Last edited by hemiwi; 2016-02-14 at 18:48.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
The app situation is really not that bad. We're at a point where Sailfish will either diversify or die, and most apps are open source (except Jollas!). I've built lots of phone apps for the tablet with little or no problems. The one big hole is architecture filtering on openrepos. Warehouse works, and lots of devs have uploaded x86 packages with hi-res tweaks - a new version of quickddit went up there today with PPI based resizing on thumbnails.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by hemiwi View Post
One question on-topic:
Whats up with the split screen (Perk 2) and what has come to the partner space?
I do not know much about either, but if you check out
https://together.jolla.com/question/...201taalojarvi/
and use e.g. your browsers "search from page" -function with string "[partnerspace]", you'll see that something like that is progressing under the bonnet. And if you check out also few previous change logs, you'll see that it has been worked on quite some time.

Last edited by Tsippaduida; 2016-02-14 at 18:58. Reason: typos

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You know... the folks that actually received their Jolla tablet have been rather quiet. Only one bloke came here and seemingly wanting to capitalize on the folks here and another sold tablet that went rather quietly.

No real praise, concerns, reports or much of anything here from actual owners. That concerns me more than just this cyclic argument about who has said/meant what and how not to get a refund.

Perhaps it is just time to let the anger go. Let the disappointment go. The folks with the device(s) aren't saying much. So why are the folks without the device continuing on? There will be some refunds, it's a failed crowd funding campaign (note: this is my actual first failed backed campaign for me) and there's not much more to it.

Oh well...
I'm reading all this on the Jolla tablet, what is to praise? On the other hand it works rather well and I'm happy with it. Like most of you I also wait for a (second) tablet, which I won't get, but since I pledged for it just to help the campaign get higher, Jolla can consider it a donation.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
There was no stable linux tablet before or after the annoucement of Jolla Tablet®. I don't think there will be anything like the Jolla tablet within the future. The best thing todo right now is cherish the time waiting on a the unexpected delivery boy with a Jolla table.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I'm reading all this on the Jolla tablet, what is to praise? On the other hand it works rather well and I'm happy with it. Like most of you I also wait for a (second) tablet, which I won't get, but since I pledged for it just to help the campaign get higher, Jolla can consider it a donation.
I think you and the others have mistaken "quiet" for "silence". I'm not talking about much more than there's the raucous noise going about not having one. It would be grand to hear more about those with the tablet than without.

It's not about praise. It's all about input. And to be honest, I'm quite ****ing tired of the noise here. Would be nice to bring back information to these forums as opposed to being inundated with anger and ill-informed opinion each time I log in.

That is all. Thanks for posting your opinions, those with the tablet. Would love to see/hear more.

That is all. Thanks for posting your opinions, those with the tablet. Would love to see/hear more.
I think that will start when the extra 540 have gone out. There weren't many N950s, but they had their own noisy club.

#jtabclub

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I think that will start when the extra 540 have gone out. There weren't many N950s, but they had their own noisy club.

#jtabclub
Can I be honest? I'd rather not bring the N950 into the conversation because that brings up far too much negative feelings especially how some active and proficient developers were left out and of course the community council that decided they deserved one, voted upon that and got them and really didn't add much to the conversation here after the fact... but they sure as hell did sell on eBay for quite the price hike.

My point though is that the N950 has a very negative connotation around here to quite a few users.

On the other hand, the folks with the initial tablet shipments - I count 3 or so in recent posts, 5 or 6 in total that I've counted - have largely been quiet.

The next 540, I have no faith that it'll be any better. The standard has been set - perhaps sell on eBay or here and take advantage of some folks... the rest, just remain quiet.

I know that can be taken as "bitter" - it's an observation. It would be a heap better than page upon page of "SCAM" and other proclamations ad nauseum.

Thanks for your input. It is honestly appreciated by the community. I hope you and the Jolla Tablet brethren set a better precedent than the N950 owners did (well... they were under NDA though)

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
If a Campaign Owner is unable to perform on any promise and/or commitment to Contributors
The Jolla campaign contained the following disclaimer, if people bothered reading everything:

Disclaimer: Delivery of rewards/perks are subject to best efforts and not guaranteed.

So no promise or commitement.

I know that can be taken as "bitter" - it's an observation. It would be a heap better than page upon page of "SCAM" and other proclamations ad nauseum.

Thanks for your input. It is honestly appreciated by the community. I hope you and the Jolla Tablet brethren set a better precedent than the N950 owners did (well... they were under NDA though)
Don't worry. Everything's going to be ok.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund