Active Topics

Personally, I think the thread ended with Kathy's post. I see lot of asking, but zero offers to give a hand on improving things.

People are right when they say that the community should do this or that. What they fail to realize is that they are also part of the community, and hence, they could do it themselves.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Personally, I think the thread ended with Kathy's post. I see lot of asking, but zero offers to give a hand on improving things.

People are right when they say that the community should do this or that. What they fail to realize is that they are also part of the community, and hence, they could do it themselves.
I also agree that this ended with Kathy's post. But I don't agree with your comments, I offered to help, tried to make a suggestion and got shot down by a senior member on a power trip??

Explain that one???? This place will die a death if people act like that towards new user that are trying to get involved and contribute. I am a new user (to linux) and I don't want to be spoon-feed, but I don't want to get shot down for making a reasonable suggestion either!!!!

(BTW: the software we test in the field comes with release notes: why is something similar here such a stupid idea? As I understand it the packages don't at the moment, if they do please forgive me and point me in the right direction...thanks

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
I also agree that this ended with Kathy's post. But I don't agree with your comments, I offered to help, tried to make a suggestion and got shot down by a senior member on a power trip??

Explain that one???? This place will die a death if people act like that towards new user that are trying to get involved and contribute. I am a new user (to linux) and I don't want to be spoon-feed, but I don't want to get shot down for making a reasonable suggestion either!!!!

(BTW: the software we test in the field comes with release notes: why is something similar here such a stupid idea? As I understand it the packages don't at the moment, if they do please forgive me and point me in the right direction...thanks
I'm not a senior member. Look at my join date.

(I'm not a playa, I just post a lot)

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Credibility is inversely correlated with font size.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I'm not a senior member. Look at my join date.

(I'm not a playa, I just post a lot)
Depends how you define "senior". Anyway, no-one's comments should be answered like that on here regardless of their seniority.

Help new people to get involved = more testers = more feedback = better apps = happier users = more people getting involved

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post

Dave, all you need to contribute to the wiki is to create a log-in. If you have useful information for that or the FAQ, please go right ahead and add it. The more the better.

Help files/release notes are far from a bad idea. You might like to join the discussion here.

If you have ideas and want some screen shots, PM me with exact details and if I can, I'll supply. I do have an n900, who is quite willing to post his pics (unlike me). I'd rather not install too much more than I have already, though.

The other thing to say is that if people are downloading apps from testing or devel, please please make sure you are providing feedback. The more good feedback we get, the sooner these apps will be ready for everyone.

What isn't helpful is demands and cristicism loaded with impatience and demand aimed at people who do this in their free time for fun.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Everyone is doing lots of gum bumping. Evidently we have issues here. I'm ready to solve them if we're ready to do that as a community. I and a couple others seem to have some good ideas to make things better.

I know a few tricks on building loyalty and community. First, share information. If something requires an advanced skill set, give resources to attain those skills. If something can brick your device, let them know, and require they show the ability to backup and recover that device or they acknowledge they're taking an expensive risk. EVERY app should have a thread, and the opening post should be updated to include the latest version's installation, recommemded skill level, and warnings and disclaimers on its use. There should be illustrated guides on setup and usage, and links to post bugs. This could actually be embedded into the app as well, so when help is needed, it takes you there.

These are things we take for granted in other forums, and we need to step our game up. And we really need a code of conduct or a post voting mechanism to "dim" rude, useless, disruptive, disrespecful, and abrasive commenters like on Engadget. Maybe have a goodwill button, and jerks lose karma or something for rudeness. Its getting old.

I've made efforts to be nicer, but quite a few here are always jerks, and its tolerated. Why not more heavily moderate things and outlaw this useless rude behavior and move forward? Must we beef daily?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Dave, all you need to contribute to the wiki is to create a log-in. If you have useful information for that or the FAQ, please go right ahead and add it. The more the better.

Help files/release notes are far from a bad idea. You might like to join the discussion here.

If you have ideas and want some screen shots, PM me with exact details and if I can, I'll supply. I do have an n900, who is quite willing to post his pics (unlike me). I'd rather not install too much more than I have already, though.

The other thing to say is that if people are downloading apps from testing or devel, please please make sure you are providing feedback. The more good feedback we get, the sooner these apps will be ready for everyone.

What isn't helpful is demands and cristicism loaded with impatience and demand aimed at people who do this in their free time for fun.
Thanks, I am happy to wait to get the device before starting to make some notes/guides/screenshots, shouldn't be too long now.....but I ordered from MPD.....so you never know

I am more than happy to test and give feedback, the thread you added looks like exactly the idea I am trying to get across.

I actually agreed that demands/cristicism/impatience were not good for anyone, and never tried to demand things from people, my actual point was to try and take some of the focus off the developers by creating a central documentation centre so people could go there first rather than hassle them (#111)

Chris, you have perfect timing!

See, by his post count, you would also think that Chris is a "senior member"...

(you all know where this is going )
What is your problem? If you have got nothing useful to post THEN DON'T!

There are some good ideas on here getting ruined by your useless self gratification.

Of course people use the posts and thanks system to judge seniority/experience! Thats what its for. I judge all the seniority (experience) of members on here by that system as join date doesn't mean anything.

I could be a 30 year veteran developer and have joined yesterday (with a million posts and 10 million thanks, or a bin man who joined 5 years ago (with one post named "what am I doing on here, im a bin man, I don't even know what a Maemo is" and no thanks, who are you going to listen to when it comes to software/issues???? ummmmmm

Disclaimer: No disrespect to bin men, mearly trying to illistrate a point (only non-geek job I could think of! ) that the join date system doesn't always work.

Christexaport, thanks for that post I think you have some good ideas there, maybe take a look at the thread Kathy left for me, make for interesting reading....

I think the real problem here is the fact that we are (right now) in a thread whose sole purpose is to disparage the community. That's what drew me in here.

The types of threads serve no purpose.

Had this been a productive thread, I would not have even posted here, as I had nothing of value to contribute.

If the threads title was "Suggestions for Improvement" or "Making life easier for noobs at tmo" I probably wouldn't have even clicked.

This thread, and ones like "N900 sucks" or whatever, should be closed straight away, or even merged into a single, master troll thread (ooh, am I the only one who thinks that's a great idea??).

Troll threads make me want to get my flame on.

Apologies to anyone who didn't realize we were in an inflammatory thread to begin with.
I tried to turn it into a useful thread by suggesting solution to someone's gripe but you are the one that continued.

There were useful points born out of a useless thread, but they were swamped by:

I am not a role-model

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money