Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I know the numbers of symbian based handsets sold out there is pretty obscene, but I wonder how many of those are really 'relevant'. Ie: how many are still in use? Of those, how many make use of email and web or install 3rd party apps at all?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Would be interesting to read some good analysis on what is the ideal number of operating systems for phones. Balancing choice and then also not having too many so that it makes life difficult for consumers and developers (see: desktop PCs in the 1990's)

PCs seemed to have settled on the major 'Windows', with second and third with OS X and Linux.

On phones we've got (in no particular order):
Symbian
iOS
Windows
Meego
Android

This is surely too many. Can all of these survive and is this best for consumers?

I think the smart phone OS world would do well to follow the desktop market. 'Follow' meaning more specifically "the market will decide". Have one primary OS that is all dominant, iOS, and serves its function for the majority of people (like Windows on desktops). Have a slightly niche and off the wall OS that is a good alternative in Android (like OS X on desktops). And then have Meego for the crazy Linux people who like getting their hands dirty.

WM 7 and Symbian can die. Symbian because it's miles out of date and Windows because its so late to the party it doesn't deserve entry.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by superg05 View Post
it can be done but nobody wants to at the least there making half/half you could disable touch but why
can android be used without a pointing device? (read: touchscreen)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mchu6am4 View Post
Definitely...otherwise the Nokia name will likely to disappear in the next 5-10 years or sooner!
what are the main points with what nokia can compete and win with other OEM manufacturers?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
android is not in the same league as meego. It still cant hold a candle to symbian.
This statement really only can be answered one way: LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I'm definitely holding out for a new phone until next year when MeeGo devices start to really appear.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
They should move to, it hat a flawless, smooth and fast java user-interface! x-D

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I know the numbers of symbian based handsets sold out there is pretty obscene, but I wonder how many of those are really 'relevant'. Ie: how many are still in use? Of those, how many make use of email and web or install 3rd party apps at all?
i would say a hell of alot. as of this moment im looking at an e71, 5230, n97 mini, and n95. let me add in the usa each installed with 3rd psrty apps.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
This statement really only can be answered one way: LOL
it was an emotional fanboyishes response.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I meant as a SoC not CPU alone. The one implemented in the iPhone 3GS and N900 was better (slightly) than the Nexus One in something. It was either graphic or media rendering. I'm not quite sure..but that's not the point. It's still clear that the N900;s hardware is not bad.
Ah.. gotcha. Yeah, in that regard it's a LITTLE better than the N1 except that the 1GHz processor DOES clobber it with raw power. More importantly, though, there's a plethora of FAR better SoC solutions now. But I'll concede that, in its day, the N900 was in rare company for that feature. It's just too bad that Nokia can't seem to evolve their handsets and keep the OS on the previous generation hardware up-to-date and compatible with the next generation (a complaint that keeps getting brought up about Android 1.6 vs 2.0 vs 2.1 devices... except that Google has a range of handsets and manages to get a BUNCH upgraded whereas Nokia has... what the 770, N800 and N810 as previous generations? Pathetic.)

Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
About the IR thing..it's 2010. Does your TV work with Wi-Fi? IR is still used. Although I never use it..it's there and worth mentioning.
Ironically, all of my "tv's" are 1080p monitors and they pay attention to DPMS, so if I DO turn off my VLC-running PC or tell it to go into DPMS off mode, or even if I just let it sit there for a few minutes without playing something---yes, it turns off automatically or via wifi. :P

But that's irrelevant--Laughing Man made the point much better than you did. Much appreciation to him for a convincing response about hotels and Wii and so on.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
can android be used without a pointing device? (read: touchscreen)
Actually, yes. At the Google Experience desktop (or even on the HTC Sense desktop), you can either use the touchscreen, or the d-pad, the mouse (optical or ball), or the slide-out keyboard's shortcuts, or (as I do) a bluetooth keyboard, etc.. Have you ever actually used an Android device?

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Nokia never did, but you can.. FM Transmitter widget, or QWERTY12's FM transmitter.so file that puts it permantely in the menu. It even auto FM boosts it for you if you have it installed.
Sooooo.. are those portions of the OS so closed that someone in the community couldn't actually fix the problem? And people complain that Android is closed?

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-09 at 09:39.