Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Eh, sure - the iPhone 4 has many other flaws, but I think that the 'Grip of death' is the funniest of all: for once, Apple tried to use a different antenna design other than the design they copied from Nokia, and it ended up as a miserable fail.
I know you know deep down that such a hardware design flaw cannot be resolved by a mere software update - therefore I don't see any reason why should anyone "use another attack vector towards iphone 4" - as this one is quite enough
wtf are you saying? That I'm doing the death grip wrong? Should i wet my hand and the iPhone too to increase the detuning effect?

ps: please reread my post, I tend not to spell every little details out because I assume most readers here are intelligent enough to pick up the subtleties. (ie: 'revisions' are generally used to refer to hardware version).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-09-06 at 23:27.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
more details please! What kind of trade barriers? Can't sell songs internationally?
Yep And they even make this darn difficult. Like actually checking where the issuing bank for creditcard numbers is etc.

They don´t need to be that meticulous...If CD´s can be bought in Sweden and mailed out of there Itunes surely could negotiate to sell mp3 files and deliver them outside that countries borders.

Last edited by olighak; 2010-09-06 at 23:47.

@Olighak: While I agree with the annoyance caused by segmented media market, do take note that it's pretty much par for the course because that's how the conventional media industry has operated.

Existing contracts and licensing deals have time an region constraints embedded into them that restricts all-out, world wide sales deal.

Actually, is there any digital shop like that in existence?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Last edited by ysss; 2010-09-07 at 00:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Ah, ye olde (D)RM discussion again.

As long as the masses buy, they'll stay in place. And the longer they are in place, the more they become the status quo and after a while we'll forget what purchasing is, and we'll mistake it for renting. For the same price, or better, of course. And it will seem natural that we can quote a poem with source but you can't attach a sequence from a movie to an email. Or that you can show a picture of a painting to a friend, but not a picture of a picture a photographer took.

Really? Twenty bucks for a disk I can't legally play in my car? (I had to read up on it).

I miss the good old days when information was free. You know, back when an information that was published became public domain (published, get it?) and works were archived and consulted for free (minus a small fee for maintaining the archive). They were called libraries. When you had the right to quote from a poem without being technically eligible for prison.

Funny how copying prose from an article in a newspaper is considered news and copying verses from one column to the right is infringement.

Oh well. I shouldn't get started on this. Don't have all day.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

@olighak: with the existing distribution structures in place, I'd reckon it'll take awhile to renegotiate/revise them to make global agreements. And not without a fight by the existing regional distributors that is required (+ benefiting from) the existing strucures either.

@ndi: by that logic the iTunes music store should triple or quadruple their drm layers than do away with it.

Ps: I'm not defending apple's practices; i just prefer people to not oversimplify real issues, resorting to the always-easy-and-never-wrong idealist default positions than actually understanding the real world situation and taking part and contributing to practical and real solutions.

Last edited by ysss; 2010-09-07 at 02:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Ps: I'm not defending apple's practices
you are not ??

Linux Based Devices : Motorokr e6 | Nokia N900

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sdesai View Post
you are not ??
He is not. He's explaining how it's simply got a bit more of an intentionally regional business model to it, than anything else. I mean.. you HAVE noticed that they have done that classically in other media (DVD regional coding, video games, etc.). It's just a business model, nothing fancier or any more evil than that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by sepehrsfmech View Post
if it wasnt for apple, people wouldnt have a sweet music store(itunes)
It's because of Apple we don't have sweet music stores anymore. I miss being able to go to Tower Records and the Virgin Megastore and all the cool local joints.

i think ppl who like apple products and apple policies should go and share their thoughts in apple communities. Sharing them and arguing with each and everyone who is against apple in maemo is quite silly.

Linux Based Devices : Motorokr e6 | Nokia N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Can some tell me what's the point of this thread? 24 pages and none with useful information, my popcorn bowl is already empty . I think moderators should close this thread until its not too late.
I'm thinking it should be moved to Off Topic, where it has potential for Epic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanaticism, ienvy, ifollow imasses, iphåne, iwhine, jealousy, religious wars, whining, worstthreadever