Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You're almost right. Ovi is the third, right after Blackberry's and just barely above Google's:

Doing some reading about AppStore stats, I came about this article:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/07/nok...ess-nokia.html

Considering the Ovi promise, the MeeGo promises, the numerous delays (N900, N8, etc); I think there's one huge variable often overlooked when discussing about Nokia's strength (and failures):

Their ability to execute things (as planned).
Bingo. Hence marriage to Microsoft. I went yesterday out of curiosity to check WP7. Clearly not Maemo, but definitely smoother than Symbian 3 and beautifully responsive, as good as apple. i think that Microsoft got the bad deal. Nokia will be the dead weight in this partnership

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not surprised in the lack of planning for the supposed transition between Symbian to WP7 - there was a lack of planning for the supposed transition between Maemo to MeeGo.

So... at a much lower level, same ****, different day (and terms).

I still cannot believe that I have to buy a damn Nokia WP7 phone because I said it wouldn't happen, if it did, I'd buy one... gotta keep my word. Bleh.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Bingo. Hence marriage to Microsoft. I went yesterday out of curiosity to check WP7. Clearly not Maemo, but definitely smoother than Symbian 3 and beautifully responsive, as good as apple. i think that Microsoft got the bad deal. Nokia will be the dead weight in this partnership
Forget about smooth UI. Smartphones will have quadcores and >1GHz next year when first Nokia WP7 might arrive if not delayed. What will be next features after big screens, fotos, games? Maybe totally networking with all kinde of devices and multiple standards? Maemo had all Linux communication stacks onboards, will full blown desktop linux behind it. Hard to imaging WP7 can compete.

=> Nokia now has
1) "Ecosystem" with marginable market share (not even 3rd ...)
2) Less advanced platform that has been abondaned by others already (Samsung, Motorola)
3) Lost control of both ecosystem and platform
4) Ruined reputation of its own ecosystem and platform and its own reputation for developers also - would you invest in Nokia WP7 now after having invested in QT/Symbian? Or go to Android ...

The winner of the deal seems to be MS. But by the delay of 1 yr. until delivery of Nokia WP7 phones is too long - in this time Symbian will eventually die (at least converning market share and OVI) because everybody knows its an abandoned platform.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm not surprised in the lack of planning for the supposed transition between Symbian to WP7 - there was a lack of planning for the supposed transition between Maemo to MeeGo.

So... at a much lower level, same ****, different day (and terms).

I still cannot believe that I have to buy a damn Nokia WP7 phone because I said it wouldn't happen, if it did, I'd buy one... gotta keep my word. Bleh.
HA HA Gerby WHAT transition happened from Maemo to Meego i wonder lol

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
HA HA Gerby WHAT transition happened from Maemo to Meego i wonder lol
What transition? A multi-touch capable OS that uses capacitive screens being developed on a non-multi-touch resistive screen on 18+ month old hardware and that it was never officially supported was to be the "upgrade" path somehow...

You mean that transition?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
NFC seems to be a keyword that could be gigantic in terms of €. Who in their right mind would literally handle their wallet over to Google? We can same the same thing about MS for sure, but at least WP (and Bada by the way) is built from the ground up with this in mind, to keep your data safe. Android is built to exploit every bit of data you have.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
NFC seems to be a keyword that could be gigantic in terms of €. Who in their right mind would literally handle their wallet over to Google? We can same the same thing about MS for sure, but at least WP (and Bada by the way) is built from the ground up with this in mind, to keep your data safe. Android is built to exploit every bit of data you have.
NFC has NOTHING todo with "google" its an old technic problem is no one hasnt agree on a standard for it. Its up to the banks and similar to drive this forward.

But Google/apple/Nokia may drive this faster forward now is good.

Personlly I am so sick of the magnetcards and cash.

It really is time we replace magnetcard and cash with NFC in european.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-20 at 21:01.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I would not trust neither one of those, but if I had to choose, I'd choose Google rather than Microsoft with closed source policy and "be proudly evil"-agenda.

Concerning about NSA, I do not think it much matters, because all high end CPUs are closed source anyway and there surely is remote switch off logics and would be also cost effective to have platform agnostic backdoors. But still it wouldn't hurt to have open source kernel and OS-tools because from there in the software is where the criminals will attack you.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
NFC has NOTHING todo with "google" its an old technic problem is no one hasnt agree on a standard for it. Its up to the banks and similar to drive this forward.

But Google/apple/Nokia may drive this faster forward now is good.

Personlly I am so sick of the magnetcards and cash.

It really is time we replace magnetcard and cash with NFC in european.
You don't get it. There are no real technical problems with NFC, just a bunch of ignorant speculations on the net. The problems are banks, governments and other high stake commercial institutions trying to figure out responsibilities and legalities and profits. You don't think VISA and Eurocard would just hand over their entire business to Google?

NFC can only exist in a closed and controlled ecosystem, using a modern OS that also is closed. Today there are only three candidates, iOS, Bada and WP. Google would have to fork off an entire new OS for this with no spyware whatsoever, but they will loose their advantages (if any exist) in the process.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I would not trust neither one of those, but if I had to choose, I'd choose Google rather than Microsoft with closed source policy and "be proudly evil"-agenda.

Concerning about NSA, I do not think it much matters, because all high end CPUs are closed source anyway and there surely is remote switch off logics and would be also cost effective to have platform agnostic backdoors. But still it wouldn't hurt to have open source kernel and OS-tools because from there in the software is where the criminals will attack you.
Google is actually worse in my opinion For a company who gives away for " free" they do seem to have a rather HUGE yearly growth-rate.
Microsoft : what you see is what you get...

Tags
bada rox, eflop, is a loser, loose cannon, the horror!, thepain-thepain