Active Topics

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
I know that there is point and profit in developing for an OS/platform before its released, but MeeGo isnt just pre-release, it can hardly be said to exist.

How are you even going to field test your app? There isnt a release (that I know of) you can run to test on. You can do limited testing on any qt platform, but thats no substitute for actual on-platform testing.

This is both mild criticism and honest inquisition on these issues.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
I know that there is point and profit in developing for an OS/platform before its released, but MeeGo isnt just pre-release, it can hardly be said to exist.

How are you even going to field test your app? There isnt a release (that I know of) you can run to test on. You can do limited testing on any qt platform, but thats no substitute for actual on-platform testing.

This is both mild criticism and honest inquisition on these issues.
MeeGo runs already on a Tablet (WeTab), a Netbook (Fujitsu - something and the Lenovo Netvertible as well as nearly every other Netbook) and a Handset (Nokia N900, quite usable already).
If a developer needs further devices to test on please read again this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=51

Edit: To clarify this a little bit more. We expect at least one new MeeGo device before the end of the competition.
Every developer participating in the competition with a cool app should get in contact with us if a MeeGo device is needed.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-03-31 at 06:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Good morning.
It is okay for everyone if we use noobmonkeys latest logo?

Also we still need to decide about the categories.

Edit: also please take note of the edit of previous comment.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-03-31 at 07:16.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Good morning.

Logo is good. If something better comes along, we can change it.

Categories are ok. Although I'm also worried about emulators in games section, and ports in all of them. I think on average people will look at the whole app and not just the parts that were modified.

Hope the app can enter the competition even if it's only tested on N900. Don't have other MeeGo things, but will install MeeGo on my N900 to test it under it too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
Hope the app can enter the competition even if it's only tested on N900. Don't have other MeeGo things, but will install MeeGo on my N900 to test it under it too.
Yes, that's totally possible. Quoting the rules:
The applications have to run on default hardware running on an official version of Maemo or MeeGo.

Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
FWIW you can use an emulator to test your app (for handset or netbook) see here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
The MeeGo Coding Competition 2011 logo is now integrated in the talk.maemo.org white theme.
Thanks Reggie!

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Good morning.

Edit: also please take note of the edit of previous comment.
I'm fine with noobmonkeys Logo. But it the end Reggie has to accept it, too.
Edit: (Okay, I'm writing to slow, this is done. Thanks Reggie! )

And I'm also fine with the categories as they are at the moment in the wiki.

Is the Beginner contest totally seperate or are they additionally to the other categories in the Beginner section? (as it was at the first contest)

I have, now that the Logo and the Categories are nearly finished, a other suggestion:
As already discussed: Emulators, Ports and existing Applications with "some" new functions are a little bit hard for the average user to compare them to fresh, with a lot effort and only in a few months totally new build applications. Some community members will only see the result.

Perhaps, if we able to, we could run at the end during the voting a second vote, all applications together and only the developers are allowed to vote. They are not able to vote for their own Application. But they have enought background knowledge to see how much effort a application took or not.
This is a seperate vote, and outside the contest. There shouldn't be a normal price as in the contest. And also no sponsored flight. Only a appreciation from the other programmers that knows how hard it is to create a good application and perhaps a symbolic prize. Perhaps a strange Device, to develop new ideas and applications with. Something "like" this: Sony Ericsson LiveView

zehjotkah, you wrote:
At previous AppLabs developers got MeeGo hardware to take home. This time? Come and see for yourself!
Perhaps you're able to organize a additional device. This could be the prize for the Developers appreciate Developers vote at the end of the contest.

I'm sure. Simple but shiny ports wont have a chance at a developers vote. Only the really hard stuff could resist.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
The MeeGo Coding Competition 2011 logo is now integrated in the talk.maemo.org white theme.
STOP! Wrong Link!
It direkts at the moment to:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Coding_Competition_1
Correct is:
http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_Competition_2011

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Is the Beginner contest totally seperate or are they additionally to the other categories in the Beginner section? (as it was at the first contest)
Every first time maemo/MeeGo developer will be able to tick a checkbox to apply for the Beginners category.
The app will then take part in the normal category (e.g. LinkedIn client in Network) and in the Beginners Category, too.
If the app wins in both categories the prize of the Beginner category will be passed to the second winner. If the second winner of the Beginners category is a first winner in another category, too, the prize will be passed to the third, and so on.
If all participants of the Beginner category are first winners in the other categories we have to decide what we'll do...

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
STOP! Wrong Link!
It direkts at the moment to:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Coding_Competition_1
Correct is:
http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_Competition_2011
It's now corrected. Thanks!

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-03-31 at 11:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia