Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by robert485 View Post
by the way. This is the only community i have been part of and its brilliant how much work and effort gets but into it. Im not trying to annoy anyone and the apps ive downloaded in the past have been brilliant.

i just want the build quality of nokia, the support android has and the community that maemo.org presents. (apart from the few that spoil it)

too much to ask?

thanks to those that responded constructively
It might be, actually. The build quality of Nokia can be found elsewhere in competing hardware--so, where they once excelled far ahead, they've managed to either fall behind or just stay caught up (depending on the individual device you're looking at) compared to any number of device manufacturers for many operating system handsets.

The support of Android is.. well, not to be found in Nokia-land. Not even close. Certainly not a competitive level of constant updates, communications, developer support and devices, much less after-purchase support, point-of-presence and pre-purchase marketing efforts. I don't see this changing anytime soon, either.

Nokia has deflated this community pretty well, but you'll find MANY communities out there, some far better off than this one. Mind you, I still come here often and it's still a valuable one but this isn't the only community and, lately especially, it's hardly the best or most busy one. You CAN find communities for other devices, operating systems and environments elsewhere as I have, in addition to this one. It used to be a far better community during the era when this forum was still InternetTabletTalk, but ever since the name change to talk.maemo.org and the focus away from desktop-like powerful tablets to the ME TOO iPhoney-wannabe effort of focusing on cell phones instead of tablets, I felt like the community became fragmented, suffered and lost a lot of the development and technical people that used to be a wealth of creativity and knowledge for this community. Thankfully, there's still enough of the dev's and techies left to still have a sometimes useful thread here and there and to get things done, but it's no longer the optimistic community it once had been. I would put less weight on that expectation as time goes on, given Nokia's move away from Maemo/MeeGo and general intent to move toward Windows Phone 7 phones.

Of course, take all that with a grain of salt.. I'm Negatron Dan.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Jigzy View Post
I have never understood these post! If you feel that this device is not for you then move along, Why do you want to be persuaded either way of its pitfalls or benefits.

You own one you are the only one that knows if it meets your needs, not some guy or gal in another continent!!!!!

But if you feel the need to reassured fair enough, each to their own!!!
Myopic fool! You can't be expected to know what you don't know until you ask people to tell you details. One of those might be, "why would I want this phone?" Please get thyself to a closet and remain there for 30 minutes as a time-out.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It might be, actually. The build quality of Nokia can be found elsewhere in competing hardware--so, where they once excelled far ahead, they've managed to either fall behind or just stay caught up (depending on the individual device you're looking at) compared to any number of device manufacturers for many operating system handsets.

The support of Android is.. well, not to be found in Nokia-land. Not even close. Certainly not a competitive level of constant updates, communications, developer support and devices, much less after-purchase support, point-of-presence and pre-purchase marketing efforts. I don't see this changing anytime soon, either.

Nokia has deflated this community pretty well, but you'll find MANY communities out there, some far better off than this one. Mind you, I still come here often and it's still a valuable one but this isn't the only community and, lately especially, it's hardly the best or most busy one. You CAN find communities for other devices, operating systems and environments elsewhere as I have, in addition to this one. It used to be a far better community during the era when this forum was still InternetTabletTalk, but ever since the name change to talk.maemo.org and the focus away from desktop-like powerful tablets to the ME TOO iPhoney-wannabe effort of focusing on cell phones instead of tablets, I felt like the community became fragmented, suffered and lost a lot of the development and technical people that used to be a wealth of creativity and knowledge for this community. Thankfully, there's still enough of the dev's and techies left to still have a sometimes useful thread here and there and to get things done, but it's no longer the optimistic community it once had been. I would put less weight on that expectation as time goes on, given Nokia's move away from Maemo/MeeGo and general intent to move toward Windows Phone 7 phones.

Of course, take all that with a grain of salt.. I'm Negatron Dan.
cheers negatron dan

The Following User Says Thank You to robert485 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by robert485 View Post
some1 please tell me some reasons why i should upgrade to the N9.

im almost sure im moving to an android phone. ive always loved nokia with every bone in my body. but when there is so little to offer compared to android phones
i cant honestly say im prepared to sign a two year contract with a phone that will;
stop being worked on in less than a year. (officially anyway)
and will have a laughable amount of apps throughout its lifespan

if nokia had went and supported meamo and meego with a marketing campaign and investment that it needed. then it wouldnt be in this mess, im not touching WP7 and i fail to see why i should stick around.
Personally I dont buy devices cause of "marketing" if soo I have bought a Iphone/Android already.

I will buy N9 cause its most open and real Linux out so far...

If you like the phone buy it. If not dont buy it simple is that

If more people buys => the possibility for longer support increases.

Remember boards decissions is right now and will change in the future. In a good or bad way thats how bussiness work.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I will buy N9 cause its most open and real Linux out so far...
Well, except for the overwhelming and increasingly less open parts, sure! The most open and real Linux aside from that small but significant detail. I has got irony.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Soulaxe View Post
If this were a meego smartphone you shouldn't stay, in fact you should get as distant as possible, Nokia deliver such great hardware, but it's adopted by the worst kind of community; who more provoking than common internet trolls. Which isn't the case here; Nokia realising this community's weakness (strong hatred for closed-source)turned this into their newly thoroughly though business plan.
I will be buying a WP7-based Nokia phone, (only if it has a keyboard) and I hope the new adopted community isn't as anti-social as this one.

Community is the general appeal of the community, so this doesn't apply to everyone, you know who I'm talking about.
You know what m8, I actually prefer people sparing us the fanboy talk, why FOSS is better then anything. People bashing him for making only 1 post to whine about MeeGo and Maemo. I think there are way too many threads about this already. If OP is a long time member I can't see why he/she needs to post on an alias(unless he used to post as abill_uk that is). If OP understands what TMO and meego.org stand for, I don't really know what you and OP wanted to here(read) here. People saying crap about Maemo/MeeGo? Or praising them? Most input is freely available on TMO that a mature adult should be able to make a decision based upon.

Having a diverse community will always bring missunderstandings, in fact interacting with other people in general wil do as well, common interest and background aside. Having said that if you are so disgusted by this community why are you still reading the forums why do you even bother to post? If your feelings are that strong perhaps you should also sit back and reflect wether you're wasting your time here.

Best Regards

Last edited by fasza2; 2011-06-29 at 22:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
What, did everyone forget to take their medication today?

Cheer up you miserable lot

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Well, except for the overwhelming and increasingly less open parts, sure! The most open and real Linux aside from that small but significant detail. I has got irony.
The UI and proprietary Nokia software are pretty much the only things that are closed aside from third party stuff like the SGX drivers. Everything so far has indicated that you can replace that with a different UI and the reference applications of your choosing. The core of Meego is much more open that anything out there, mobile-wise.

So yes, it has the potential to be the most open handset/mobile computer out there.

It might be, actually. The build quality of Nokia can be found elsewhere in competing hardware-
....such as? And don't tell me Motorola, Samsung, or HTC - their build quality is among the worst.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
....such as? And don't tell me Motorola, Samsung, or HTC - their build quality is among the worst.
Yes, all of those and pretty much the majority of device manufacturers out there, since there isn't any ONE manufacturer making them. Heh You're clearly showing your fanboi colors here.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
The UI and proprietary Nokia software are pretty much the only things that are closed aside from third party stuff like the SGX drivers. Everything so far has indicated that you can replace that with a different UI and the reference applications of your choosing. The core of Meego is much more open that anything out there, mobile-wise.

So yes, it has the potential to be the most open handset/mobile computer out there.
Agreed, but there's that one word which is always so vexing and problematic for open source.... "potential".

Will there be a problem that many of the engaged people are app developers rushing to get a free N950 and promising to write an app for the closed UI/UX layer - and are not working to replace the UI/UX layer with an open one? How does the community realize the potential?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, dan the troll, dont feed troll, goodbye nokia, just shoot me, take dan with u