Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Originally Posted by Sonny_Jim View Post
I'm really, really disappointed with the GPS on the N900, like everyone else it never gets a lock, even outside using GPSJinni. I've looked at the bugzilla and it appears that as it works for *some people*, the bug has been closed? What the hell?
GPS on the N900 sucks.......
I must completely agree, unassisted GPS on the N900 sucks. Most people probably will never have trouble because using AGPS in their cellular network covered area all the time.
I've used the location-test-gui with AGPS disabled. It doesn't matter if I run "clear-gps-cache" befor or not. It usually takes 10 minutes to get 5 to 6 satellites with strong signal reception on the display in the German city where I live. If I'm lucky I get a GPS fix with 7 or 8 satellites after ten minutes but most of the time I don't get those numbers and therefore no fix at all.
What kind of GPS chip does the N900 has? I got a BT SIRFIII GPS mouse in addition which is far superior and has no trouble getting enough satellites and a fix in less then a few minutes in the same circustances.
For me the N900 GPS is a half-baked version what relies on AGPS for working.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bulgaria
Today I've tried Maps and I did it. For my device supl.nokia works much faster then supl.google. With network it locks for less then a minute. Without AGPS it locks for about a minute and half.

Seems to me like the GPS problem is a bit like postcode lottery, some parts of the country you're going to have better luck using it than in other areas.

I have just put my N900's GPS to the test: Sat indoors in a downstairs room, albeit not far from a window i disabled wireless and put my N900 into offline mode, then i started 'GPS Jinni'. Within 1-2 minutes it locked onto 6 satelittes.

So it would seem that the GPS is well designed and, when working properly is more than adequate since GPS is intended for use outdoors anyway.

I guess that since it's been a long while since people have contributed to this thread that either there's been an update that means that it's all fixed and working well or .. more likely that people have given up and bought an iphone

Last edited by Glue; 2011-02-25 at 21:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to Glue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by airone View Post
Today I've tried Maps and I did it. For my device supl.nokia works much faster then supl.google. With network it locks for less then a minute. Without AGPS it locks for about a minute and half.
How to lock it without AGPS??

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Mine has stopped connecting permanently to any satelites. Gps Jinni finds satelites if I do a search, but nothing will connect, keeps searching for satelites and just refuses to get a lock.

Used to work fine up until the beginning of this month and now... nothing. wtf?

anyone else have this issue or any form of a solution?

According to gps jinni if I look at the "general" tab it shows last connection date Monday 4th April.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
what is my global positioning????
( location ) app doesnt even work for me ..why is it so ?
but the funny thing is ,i still love my fone like my gf ,its awesome
hope sooner or later i am gonna get done with the prob i have ,now
gd luck to you guys..
try to go with AgtL locator..hope it helps

Last edited by prankster; 2011-04-20 at 04:59.

when i turn on gps from settings. the icon doesnt appear. even after running apps like sygic, the gps doesnt turn on. pls help!

Originally Posted by DUDEXYZ View Post
when i turn on gps from settings. the icon doesnt appear. even after running apps like sygic, the gps doesnt turn on. pls help!
There might be possibilities that software has got some problem. contact the technical adviser or try reinstalling the software.

-------------------------------------

GPS Tracking

Last edited by kattyjames111; 2011-09-02 at 09:40.

Suddenly the GPS stopped working.. no satelites are getting connected does any body got a fix for this issue???

same here, been a few days without a gps fix!