Offloading Vertu kinda makes sense right now...

But don't Nokia still produce the handsets?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Offloading Vertu kinda makes sense right now...

But don't Nokia still produce the handsets?
The manufacturing plants and handset division was entirely sold off to Microsoft. Also, as part of the deal Nokia cannot make ANY hardware bearing their name until the year 2016.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The manufacturing plants and handset division was entirely sold off to Microsoft. Also, as part of the deal Nokia cannot make ANY hardware bearing their name until the year 2016.
what after 2016 ? can they create their phone bussiness again with their own name ? and what if they buy another company to produce phones with the bought companies name/trademark ?

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
what after 2016 ? can they create their phone bussiness again with their own name ? and what if they buy another company to produce phones with the bought companies name/trademark ?
I'm not sure of the exact wording of their agreement but I'd imagine that any lawyer involved would have told them that putting their name on a product includes putting ANY name they already have and own, make up or buy from another company, as a matter of technicality. I'm just guessing that, though, but it's typical of lawyers to think that way in writing. Still, I'm sure it might be totally legit for them to invest in something to PREPARE for a 2016 release of a product they can manufacture (for example Jolla, if Nokia was smart enough to plan ahead).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
Anyone wanna bet on Asha's life expectancy ?
Plan B for Microsoft.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not sure of the exact wording of their agreement but I'd imagine that any lawyer involved would have told them that putting their name on a product includes putting ANY name they already have and own, make up or buy from another company, as a matter of technicality. I'm just guessing that, though, but it's typical of lawyers to think that way in writing. Still, I'm sure it might be totally legit for them to invest in something to PREPARE for a 2016 release of a product they can manufacture (for example Jolla, if Nokia was smart enough to plan ahead).
I am willing to bet their name means exactly NOKIA and not what you say, but I don't know the wording either.

I just think that if it was as you say, it would simply say "not sell devices" to cover everything.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I am willing to bet their name means exactly NOKIA and not what you say, but I don't know the wording either.

I just think that if it was as you say, it would simply say "not sell devices" to cover everything.
Didn't someone on another thread re-check and confirm that it is indeed NO Nokia brand names at all, already?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
did really? I haven't seen it.

::curious::

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
did really? I haven't seen it.

::curious::
Ah, I found the post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1372181

Although, it doesn't state he double-checked or where he double-checked it, so who knows if it's accurate?

BTW:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...hings-to-know/

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Well, the deal for the name is for the name, that doesn't mean they don't also have a deal for device production.

But it's not like Elops phone division cares about the rest of the world. It's all about North America there. Nokia must shun America more than ever now. So Microsoft may not have cared enough to buy Nokias promise of eternal global noncompetition. They already got a lot for not so much.

And who knows what strategy the board and new CEO will come up with in a year. One of the jobs Elop was expected to do was trim down the organization, I wager that especially ment the parts that resisted change. It has been thoroughly trimmed. It's a much cleaner point to start a new effort from.

And they have some fresh billions they have to invest somewhere. There are a LOT of clever people not associated with Nokia any more that have ties to Nokia, some even had economical support in starting new endeavours. Nokia might be quite positive to reestablishing new business connections now, when the MS cash is fresh and not yet ear marked.

If the deal doesn't prohibit it directly, they could i.e. buy up companies like Jolla or something akin to (but not quite) Vertu and let them keep doing their thing or let them to their thing. 2016 isn't that far off either, so the time could be utilized in getting some new innovation R&D conclaves started. Unless the contract specifically prohibits it.

Their network foot is solid, but they're up against China on that market. Nokia has a tradition for making new legs to stand on. They were boot makers, that just shows how far they can jump. And it's a lot easier for the finns to form new business partnerships now that Microsoft left them and took the house and the family name and left.

Then again, I have not been seeing any many IBM PCs around lately, so there's much reason to believe we've really seen the last of Nokia in consumer electronics.

Tags
elop is nero, elopocalypse, king tomi, nero fiddling