Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
People get confused about the quality of an image, or more frequently what something sounds like. The easy answer is go into a phone shop with your N900 and compare the two screens side by side. Which ever looks best to you is the better one.

I'm not trying to be funny here, it works for Hi-Fi. I spent £100 less on a CD player back in the nineties (yes, I'm old) because to me it sounded better than the more expensive one I'd also shortlisted. For simple .jpgs and even fairly high quality videos it should be down to personal preference. Technical specifications are all well and good, but it is you that percieves the end result and has to live with it.
What if someone doesnt have either of those and is trying to buy one out of these two for the first time, then the comparison becomes difficult with a physical Inspection of both...Cant have both in hands and inspect...

Why is it so difficult ? My local CPW still stocks the N900 and the HTC Desire, not to mention umpteen different hand held devices. I appreciate that not every one can, but it is the easiest way to compare things like screen and external speakers along with the general 'feel' of a device, even if you only get five minutes with each one.

My point is that peeps get too tangled up in technical things when actually holding a thing and comparing it with another at the same time is the way to go. Specfications and the like can only go so far in telling you what a device is actually goiing to perform lke.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Buying a device such as these based solely on screen is like buying a car based on the colour of the tyres.

FInd a shop that sells both and compare.

If shops only sell one or the other then go to one shop look at display and note, go to other shop and look at display and compare mentally. If you can't compare mentally then neither display is obviously "better" than the other.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Buying a device such as these based solely on screen is like buying a car based on the colour of the tyres.

FInd a shop that sells both and compare.

If shops only sell one or the other then go to one shop look at display and note, go to other shop and look at display and compare mentally. If you can't compare mentally then neither display is obviously "better" than the other.
Can we have some real Comaparative discussion rather than some philosophical suggestion on how it ought to be done. If someone has one...

Originally Posted by augustya View Post
Can we have some real Comaparative discussion rather than some philosophical suggestion on how it ought to be done. If someone has one...
You can count pixels, try and find the contrast ratio of different screens and the refresh rate of the screens. Whether a device has a dedicated GPU (that is utilised fully) could affect performance of a screen as well.

I would hardly call the 'bloomin obvious' philosophical though. Personal preference has much to offer. While not a substitute on it's own for technical specifications it has to be a large part of any sensible decision when parting with cash.

Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
You can count pixels, try and find the contrast ratio of different screens and the refresh rate of the screens. Whether a device has a dedicated GPU (that is utilised fully) could affect performance of a screen as well.
So in this case How does the N900 stand ?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Can anyone here explain me is S-LCD the next generation of the TFT LCD does it offer a dramatic improvement in display ( I am not really looking out for a very technical explanation just need to know from a user perspective) is it great fun watching in SLCD compared to the traditional TFT LCD display that the N900 has. If yes, How much the difference between the TFT LCD of the N900 and SLCD would be ?
I can tell you the n900 screen is completely usable in direct sunlight and the Desire's is not as good in these conditions.

Originally Posted by Grok View Post
I can tell you the n900 screen is completely usable in direct sunlight and the Desire's is not as good in these conditions.
Yeah sure I know about that...But other than that hows the image and colour quality of the N900 when compared to some newcomers with an SLCD display like that of the HTC-Desire.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Specs ought to be online so you can compare to your hearts content. It seems you are looking for someone to TELL you which one is better?

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
specs ought to be online so you can compare to your hearts content. It seems you are looking for someone to tell you which one is better?

.........................yes !!